Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How to build a Home Bar on a budget

Build a Home Bar

 Using recycled materials is an inexpensive way to do it

This is the finished Bar



Using doors and great solid wood trim I bought at  The ReStore was amazing. I used the top half of the doors for the front of the bar 40" high. The bottom half for a wainscot look at the back wall.


2x4's and the first few doors bought for $10 each


I built a frame for the bar from the 2x4's at a height of 36". This is based on what ever you are putting underneath.. Standard height of the lower work-surface is 36". Then cutting the doors at a height of 40". Which is the height of the upper surface gives you two sections of the door so nothing goes to waste.


Using finish nails and liquid nails attach the door panels to your framework. Not the wall... This bar is freestanding. Notice the pressed board on the floor protecting the carpet? This comes out after staining.


The working side dimensions are based on two different refrigerators that are going to be used for the bar. One tall one for wine and one under the counter regular one for beer etc...


I found a hollow core door at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for the lower bar top for $15. ( some of them were free). I had to buy the upper top because the depth is 39" and I could not find a door that deep. So I bought a 4x8 sheet of birch plywood.


The overhand should be 12" on th bar side for bar stools.


The upper portion of the doors was used for the walls behind the bar like wainscotting. just used liquid nails. no real nails needed.


The finish on the doors was old and porus. I did not sand or even scuff the surface to refinish. I wanted it dark cherry. It covered and blended well with all the different panels.


I found 2 14' long oak trim boards for $8 each!! ran a dado in them for a nice snug fit around the edge of the bar. cleats underneath to attach to upper bar surface. Cleats are out of site so you do not have any nail holes to fill.


I am defiantly not a pro. I used a router to round the top edges of the trim and totally gouged the corner for about 12" Thank god for wood filler. Make sure its stainable!!!


Cut and drummed the corner to blend with the working side of the bar. turned out nice...
Had a nice top-cap on the half wall looking good.. real good.. until we thought the half wall should be extended... so bought another door for $25


Cut it in half...


Attached it to the wall. But now I needed to redo the topcap and did not want to spend a lot..


Found two great pieces at the ReStore for at grand total of $2 for both!! 


All done and ready for some finish.


I have one hole in the door panel on the wall (old door knob hole) I will cover with an antique can opener.


Corner turner out good


Wire suspension to hang them wasn't cheap, but I love it. 


These shelves I bought for $125.00 I have found the same thing (3/8 INCH THICK) six shelves for $20 at the local Goodwill!! It pays to  thrift shop...

From this, before.


With some lighting for the shelving...  


Under the counter lighting.


And finished.. waiting on the stools:


Beautiful. I think it turned out great...

Spent less than $250 on the whole project because I used recycled materials. The glass mirror and the shelving was the only real new things other than the stain and polyurethane. I found some great 100 year old stools from a factory that will complete the project. Just need to make a top for them.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful bar! What is the length of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother just remodeled his basement, and he wants to turn it into a home bar. He already has a bar built, he just needs to stock it and get bar supplies. He wants to make it seem like a real bar. I can't wait to see it when it is finished. http://www.royalbilliard.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant ideas. I have a similar corner designated for the BAR in our villa.
    Temporary bar to be a glass fronted Edwardian Sideboard. Where did you aquire the
    suspension for glass shelves please? I have a beautiful hand paionted mirror as background to the Bar. Rear of sideboard is warped plywood.Any covering ideas?

    ReplyDelete